Keeping Simple Comforts Close at Hand

June 28, 2013


My sweet readers! Happy day to you!!  I'm thrilled to have Erin from Holtwood Hipster share with you a variety of ideas that will make your life easier, while at the same time, urging you to pamper yourself and others.  I adore Erin's sensibility when it comes time to decorate, organize, and improve your home.  You will love all her tips here-

I always head into Summer with a slightly different mindset than the rest of the year. Much like I feel around the New Year, the change in seasons seems to signal something internal in me that says it might be time to approach daily life a little differently- only now it tells me it's time to set aside all the gusto that carried me through those early months and relax for a bit. Summer is time for taking it easy and often what precipitates that for me anyway, is making things easy.  One of the best ways I know how to do that is to keep activity essentials close at hand. This keeps me engaged in relaxation and helps me honor necessary routines without any fuss. I even find that a few thoughtful details can also go a long way in helping to change my visual landscape, much like a hotel room tells your brain you are on vacation. 

Summertime dressing is different from the rest of the year isn't it?  While clothing is often paired down to lightweight basics, I find I often rediscover colorful baubles, clutches and scents that I would not normally wear any other time of year. Pulling those things out of the drawer or closet and out onto an open dresser top reminds me that this is the season of fun. It's time to dress accordingly. Fashionably displayed vessels, trays, racks and tables throughout your dressing area keeps these ready to wear items visible and accessible.


One of the best parts of Summer downtime is the promise it brings to take better care of yourself.  It's always a good time to refresh face and body products.  This year, I've decided to send a little daily reminder to myself that it's ok to indulge in a little pampering by keeping products I want to use most often front and center. Grouping these items together in similar containers helps keep, what can otherwise quickly turn into bathroom clutter, visually appealing.


Perhaps its time to spend a little less time in the kitchen and more time on the pool deck enjoying an evening cocktail? I like the utilitarian appeal of an open shelved kitchen. There is something about an open shelved kitchen that says: this meal is going to be quick and easy. But it's not necessary to compromise style for utility. Even the most basic kitchens can be appetizing with a few thoughtfully placed details. Spend less time digging for your tongs or spatula by storing them stove-side instead. Because we entertain a lot during the Summer, I personally favor a communal touch like displaying flatware right on the countertop in simple glasses. It's a sign to my guests that the kitchen's always open- grab a spoon and dig in!


Outdoor activities also present opportunities to be better prepared with necessary items at arm's reach. I like to set the scene for Summer weekends with an eye on the outdoors first and foremost. Creature comforts like lotions, snacks, music, blankets and fresh towels all get arranged poolside for easy retrieval, keeping the back and forth into the house to a bare minimum. Cooking outdoors? Prepare a side table with clean utensils, spices and sauces beforehand so you can remain grill side with little  fuss. Plan to spend many days at the beach or park? Pack a bag at the beginning of the season to keep essentials grab and go.  Don't forget to pack a small first aid kit as well. Should an accident happen, you'll be ready to jump on it with some ointment and a band-aid. 
A big thank you to Albertina for inviting me along to share a post with all you fabulous Mimosa Lane readers today - truly an honor to guest post on one of my own (always first!) daily reads.  

Thanks Erin!!  Wao!  What a soulful set of ideas to make summer easier and more relaxed. Aren't you inspired now to go organize and beautify your home?!  See why I love Erin's blog so much?  Her posts are always inspired and her beautiful personality always shines through.  Visit her here.

Dressing Area    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Tub                    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Kitchen               1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Outdoors             12 | 3 | 4 | 5

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. What a fabulous thoughtful post! I adore summer and staying in my bathing suit whenever I can, grilling out, staying outdoors...until the bugs arrive! Hope you're having a great time Al!
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kitchens are dreamy! I wish that I had cupboards that I could expose my dishes. Great roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having me today Albertina! Truly an honor...and I appreciate your sweet comments above. I hope you are having just the most fun on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are all great tips for having an easy and enjoyable summer. and love all of these beautiful inspirational photos as well!
    -- jackie @ jade and oak
    -- $75 anthropologie giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  5. moving in to a new house in August and love seeing all this beautiful inspiration! I will definitely check out Holtwood Hipster, loved the post!

    XO, Stefanie
    Life on the Squares

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow what a gorgeous post full of insightful tips for the home. Love the idea of an open shelved kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totes like to change things up with the change of seasons as well. So looking forward to warm summer nights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful post... love the pairing of the images with the ideas... have a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all these great ideas to make life easier!
    I was thinking to display beautifully my baubles and clutches, now I definitely will do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muy lindas imágenes Albertina , me gusta mucho la forma que tienes de mostrar las imágenes ahora
    Cariños

    ReplyDelete

You make my day with your comments! Thank you!!

Subscribe