DIY || Painting Chairs with Rust-Oleum ® Universal® Spray Paint

May 30, 2014





I'm really excited about sharing with you the transformation of some old, slightly rusty, and somewhat dated metal chairs.  I sanded the chairs down, cleaned them, and sprayed them with Rust-Oleum ® Universal® spray paint in black. Will you believe me if I tell you they are like new again? The finish is flawless. This spray paint was so easy to use (as in it works in any angle, even if you spray upside down) and provides such a rich and fabulous cover that I highly recommend it for any of those DIY projects you might have around the house.  These are the chairs I began with (please note the fruit painting in the back support!).



First off, I set up my painter's drop cloth.  Then I sanded and cleaned the chairs, especially the rusty parts. I was then ready for the first coat.  I calculated two cans for both chairs.  It was exactly right, with a bit leftover.


The chair looked perfect after just one coat.  Visually I could have left it there, but of course knew I had to do a second coat to get the job done properly.  This Rust-Oleum ® Universal® spray paint dries really fast! It says to wait 30 minutes, but it was about to rain so I tested the chair after just 10-15 minutes and it was dry. Perfect!  And on to the second coat I went.  The old chair cushions were moldy and just really unsalvageable (can this be a word please?).  So I had new ones made with some leftover palm leaf fabric from my Bar'moire DIY.  The old chairs turned into the chicest outdoor chairs I currently own! Judge for yourselves. They now sit by the pool, perfect to chat and take a break from swimming.


What else can I spray paint? I'm addicted to Rust-Oleum ® Universal®'s sleek finish. SO GOOD.  Do you have any spray paint projects waiting for you?


http://bit.ly/1nH9NHp
Rust-Oleum ® Universal® Spray Paints offer a variety of on-trend colors and unique finishes, and boast the first-of-its-kind 360 degree any-angle delivery system that allows DIYers to tackle those hard to reach areas, even upside down.


Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Rust-Oleum® via Glam Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Rust-Oleum®.

[all photos by AC]

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. I am horrible at spray painting. Your chairs look awesome! Great job! Happy weekend friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rustoleum makes such good products. I was kinda sad when I couldn't find their plastic spray paint in black. I had to use another brand (so far so good) for my flower pots. Your chairs look great A! Much chicer without the chair rail flower motif ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rustoleum spray paint is the best, I've used it one so many projects. These chairs turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rustoleum spray paint is the best, I've used it in so many projects! These chairs turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the lines of those chairs! Great job. Enjoy the weekend! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This stuff looks awesome -- may not need it now, but always a good pin for later on!

    x Lily
    http://whilemyboyfriendsaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am I nuts? I can't stop looking at your very cool wood fence!
    By the way, the chairs do look great :)
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love spray painting- I think I have an addiction. Turned out great and LOVE all the decor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used Rustoleum to paint two vintage tubs and all the fireplace covers in our house...that stuff is amazing!! Love those chair cushions by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The chairs look awesome! And especially with that fabric, one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love them and I absolutely love that you and I have the same patio furniture cushion fabric! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just spray painted a patio tea cart and it was so easy and looks great. Adore the way you have yours arranged with the pillows and garden seat. Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job lady. And I see u snagged one of the crabby pillows from HomeGoods. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look great Albertina! Love the cushions you used too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They turned out fantastic and they look amazing with the palms cushions! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it and the fabric is gorgeous too! I have used the paint for my patin table and it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this fabric choice with the black !

    ReplyDelete

You make my day with your comments! Thank you!!

Subscribe