DIY || Painted Plates and A Feminine Holiday Tablescape

December 19, 2014



I have a minor obsession with everything and anythings that sets a pretty table.  I love plates, flatware, glasses, napkins, and of course flowers and vases.  I wish I could have a variety of sets of china in all kinds of colors so I thought I could acquiesce my obsession by trying to make my own without spending much and so this painted plate DIY was born.  It is easy and fun.  Let me show you what I did.



I got these white plates from Target.  They have a fabulous selection of white dishes in all sorts of sizes and shapes at great prices. See their selection here.


I used the lapis colored Pebeo POrcelaine 150 pen which I got at Amazon here.  You can get them individually or buy the set with a rainbow of colors.


I then printed some blue and white inspiration from the Internet to figure out what kind of designs I wanted to make.  I chose something simple because this was the first time I was trying this and I wasn't sure how the pens worked.  They are not like using a marker and found them a bit tricky.  Hint- buy more plates than you need so you can practice.


Try it different kinds of strokes and designs.  When you have it figured out start painting away. Go for a classic or more modern design. We tried both.  I found this to be so therapeutic.  When you are done, let them air dry for 24 hours.


Then heat the oven to 300 F and bake all the dishes for 30 minutes.  This will set the paint and make them dishwasher safe.
 

Then you are done! And the table setting fun can begin.  I cut some fresh rosemary from our garden and tied it to some candy cane ornaments with pink ribbon.


And here is the final tablescape in all its girly and festive splendor.


I would love to try this again to keep practicing. I have so many ideas of designs I would like to create.  Are you as obsessed with china as I am?  

Posting may be spotty in the next few weeks.  I love the Holidays and just like to be 100% present with my family and friends, which means being offline a bit more than usual.  I take this time to cook and bake more, engage in Holiday activities like making and drinking tons of hot chocolate.  I also love to clean and organize the entire house as we get ready to begin a fresh new year.  And best of all I love spending lazy days with my loved ones all cuddled up by the fire.  But I will pop in here and there for sure.  Have a wonderful weekend.

[all photos by AC]

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. So so pretty! I love it all A :) Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO amazed that you did this yourself! they look incredible!!

    x Lily
    http://whilemyboyfriendsaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and me both! I love setting tables! I also love those porcelain markers, they are so easy to use and you can just go crazy, so many options. They look so pretty! Have a great weekend:) xx

    ReplyDelete

  4. guauuuu Albertina!!! que lindo !! los pintaste a pulso !!! yo quiero hacer lo mismo.....que tengas un bonito domingo junto a los tuyos
    cariños

    ReplyDelete
  5. are you kidding me?!?! A, you are killing me!!! so gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Binge reading your blog this cold dreary Sunday morn. Im loving your plates, what a fun project! xo

    ReplyDelete

You make my day with your comments! Thank you!!

Subscribe